Monday, January 4, 2016

John's Big Introduction Post

"Read much, but not too many books" - Ben Franklin (attributed)

I'm not sure if Franklin ever actually said that, but it's been my approach the past few years. I read pretty much constantly, but it can take me a long while to get through a book. It's hard to read the whole Internet every day AND get through a couple chapters of the latest Tom Clancy-branded tome, y'know?

That said, I'm excited to be a part of this group and get a bit more structure to my reading regimen. Right now I'm reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (the book the musical based on!) and listening to Augustus by Adrian Goldsworthy. I just finished Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel.

Preeeeeetty much all the books on that list and the one below are about white dudes creating new power structures or mastering existing ones. So I clearly need to broaden my horizons. Enter your suggestions! Hurrah! Cheers!

  • Postwar by Tony Judt
  • Engines of Democracy by Alan Rosenthal (Best book ever written about state legislatures)
  • Kennedy by Ted Sorensen
  • American Pharaoh by Adam Cohen and Elizabeth Taylor (or Boss by Mike Royko if you're in a hurry)
  • Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Buckley
  • Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt
  • Master of the Senate by Robert Caro
  • A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment