Monday, January 4, 2016

Jen

Hi! I'm so excited to be a part of this. (Thank you, Julie!) I'm an avid reader and have tried starting book clubs before, but they always end up feeling like homework assignments and the members slowly disperse. I've never done an online version like this, so I'm super pumped to jump in.

I live in the Chicago suburbs with my husband and two daughters (ages 8 and 11), and I work from home for a nonprofit consulting firm. I'm also an actor. I'm a big lover of all things pop culture, and I'm currently heavy into TV show binge watching...which has been a distraction of late from reading. So I'm hoping this group will help me find my way back to books again. I don't know if I have 50 books in me this year, but I'm game for trying! And I look forward to hearing about what all of you are reading too. I'm a total sucker for book recommendations. (Does anyone besides me have over 100 books in their "To-Read" section of Goodreads? Too many books, too little time.)

Five books I love...oh my. That's hard. Here's my attempt, while avoiding duplicates from others' pages. (I'm a huge Harry Potter fan too!)  I like all kinds of genres, although my list is pretty reflective of my faves...contemporary fiction and fantasy.

1. Straight Man by Richard Russo
2. Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
3. The Queen of the Tearling series
4. The History of Love by Nicole Strauss
5. Ben Canto by Ann Patchett
6. (I can't help it!) The Passage Series by Justin Cronin

Okay. That's all for now. Happy reading, everyone!

Jen

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Passage! (I was so disappointed with the second in the series though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the Lyric is premiering an opera of Bel Canto this winter? I really want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete