I apologize that I'm still only just saying hello, but I've been following all your reading adventures as I've spent too many days composing this introduction, so I'll be caught up soon.
I live in Portland, OR, where I hand-pull espresso by day, write by night, and am mama my two small fellows (Pan, 7, and Quinn, 6) pretty much all of the time.
I spent 2011-2013 in a fiction MFA program in NYC, reading 3-4 novels/story collections a week, in addition to working on my own projects, and got pretty deeply burnt out on reading for a good year after that. 2015 was a good year for books, though, all read for pleasure, and I'm really looking forward to more of the same this year with all of you.
TOP FIVE - ISH:
- All the stories by Amy Hempel (which can be found in this collection)
- The glorious magic that is Madeleine Is Sleeping, by Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum
- The Coast of Chicago by Stuart Dybek (though, I have his two new collections sitting on my desk now for the new year, and they may throw up some competition)
- Kate Atkinson's Life After Life + A God in Ruins (non-tedious meta-fiction + English countryside + WWII)
- The first two books (and probably the third) in Hilary Mantel's Cromwell trilogy: Wolf Hall + Bring Up the Bodies
- The Once and Future King (for a project)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning (with my kids)
- My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season (more for the gorgeous pictures, but there are words being absorbed as well)
- Face Paint: The Story of Makeup (christmas gift from my sister)