Monday, January 4, 2016

I am Jose

Hello All!

I've been wanting to be in a book club for ages but have a real problem reading what I'm told to. Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid reader who loves to discuss and analyze; however, the second I'm given a due date or receive any sort of instruction regarding what I am to read, my mind immediately turns off. So this is hella-perfect for me.

I'm an actor and writer here in Chicago, with a deep love for movies, television, books, and theatre.

In terms of what I read, I tend to like all sorts of books. Mostly novels and fiction, especially genre work(horror in particular, fantasy as well) but also short stories, poetry, essays, autobiographies, plays/screenplays, books on film analysis, graphic novels/comics/manga, and memoirs. I rarely read history or historical fiction, for whatever reason. I also love magazines. I have a longstanding subscription to 'GQ' which I read each month cover to cover, without irony. I just bought one for 'Esquire' because I got a good deal and my 'Details' subscription came to an end, but I have the sinking suspicion that I won't like it; my instinct is that 'Esquire' may be a bit bro-ish for me. We'll see.

At the moment I am reading "MFA vs. NYC" which is about the publishing industry and fiction writers and how the American Fiction Writing "Scene" is split in two: Academia and New York Publishing Houses. It's edited/written in part by Chad Harbach, who I like.

Sitting on my bedside table are: "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn, "Silver Screen Fiend" by Patton Oswalt, a biography about Joss Whedon, a "Spike" comic book, a book of short stories by Neil Gaiman, and a couple others I can't remember at the moment (I'm currently house-sitting and not at my place).

I've been stuck in the middle of "Anna Karenina"  for the past 5 months or so. I actually love it, but keep getting distracted.

Some of my favorite books that come to mind in the moment are: "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay" & "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" both by Michael Chabon, "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach, "100 Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "Paula" by Isabelle Allende, "The Shining" & "On Writing" by Stephen King.

Of course there's more... always more, but for now, I think that's it. That's me.

Glad to be a part of this!

1 comment:

  1. "On Writing" by Stephen King is one of my favorite books. Nothing crystalized for me why writing is an amazing art like that book.

    ReplyDelete