Monday, March 21, 2016

6/50 The Handmaiden's Tale

The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Finally. This had been on my list to read for years. Too many friends had shot me a confused look when I said I hadn't read it yet. Because, as so many of you know I'm sure, this is essential reading. This is Huckleberry Finn, Beloved or Great Gatsby level. You need to read it to understand human society, social movements, the cyclical nature of history, and the entire concept of women in society.

However, I'm installing a new rule in my life in response to how I read this book. I blew through the final third of the book from 11pm-2am. The new rule will forever be known as "Don't read terrifying dystopias before sleeping you idiot." Because it will result in some really upsetting dreams and a crushing sense of hopelessness the following day.

So I went to see Deadpool. Cause in order to destroy the patriarchy, it would probably help to have acrobatic battle skills and a dark sense of humor.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.




No comments:

Post a Comment